In the presence of gum problems, the advice of a dental surgeon or a stemmatologist is necessary. At the gingivitis stage, good oral hygiene, scaling, and the removal of local factors are the main actions to take. At the periodontitis stage, periodontal surgery may be necessary.
CONSULTATION IN CASE OF GUM PROBLEMS
In the case of gum problems (bleeding, pain, swelling, abnormal sensitivity), a consultation with a dental surgeon or a doctor dentist is essential.
During the consultation, the practitioner:
- analyzes the symptoms causing the consultation (bleeding when brushing, tooth sensitivity, etc.);
- research the risk factors for gingivitis (chronic illness, taking medication, smoking, etc.);
- performs a thorough clinical examination of the condition of the gum (inflammation, bleeding on probing, localization of lesions, the existence of dental plaque or tartar, etc.), teeth ( untreated cavities , dental malpositions , loose teeth, unsuitable crowns, etc.) ;
- searches for periodontal pockets and, if necessary, assesses them by measuring their depth, to determine the nature and severity of gum disease ;
- performs a complete radiographic assessment of the teeth in order to assess the bone loss around each tooth and the possible presence of infectious foci. This examination can also be carried out at a radiologist;
- in some cases, requests bacteriological samples taken from the gums to look for the germs in question.
At the end of this periodontal assessment, if gum disease is diagnosed, a treatment plan is established.
In all cases, even if the gum disease is in the gingivitis stage , it is advisable to be followed regularly to prevent its development or progression.
Choice of treatment for gingivitis or periodontitis
There are methods of assessing the need for care and the nature of the treatments to be implemented based on scores established from the state of the gum, the presence of tartar, the measurement of the depth of the pockets. using graduated probes and possible bleeding when probing the most affected teeth or dental areas.
TREATMENT FOR GINGIVITIS AND PERIODONTITIS: RESTORE GOOD GUM HEALTH
To treat gingivitis and periodontitis , you must clean the infected tissues and keep the gums in good health . The treatment can be carried out by:
- a general practitioner;
- a dental surgeon specializing in periodontics;
- doctor dentist.
The treatment plan varies according to the stage of gum disease, but, in all cases, oral hygiene must be flawless.
Oral hygiene in all cases and reduction of aggravating factors
Education in oral hygiene is an essential step in the treatment of gum disease or periodontal disease . The dentist (or thedentist) teaches the best dental brushing technique and advises on the choice of oral hygiene equipment adapted specifically to each person’s needs.
In addition, the removal of aggravating factors is essential: smoking cessation in particular.
Scaling of teeth and root planing in case of gingivitis and periodontitis
- The scaling removes plaque and tartar accumulated on the teeth above the gums and in the interdental spaces. It is generally carried out usingultrasonic, followed by tooth polishing and can be done in one session.
- The root planing is a thorough scaling to remove tartar beneath the gum to facilitate reattachment of the gums on dental roots. Depending on the extent of the lesions, the root planing is performed under local anesthesia using manual curettes or instrumentsultrasonic in one or more sessions (the mouth can be divided into 6 or 4 segments).
The practitioner can prescribe antiseptic mouthwashes in addition. In the event of an infectious risk (immunosuppression, chronic disease, disease heart valves, wearing a joint prosthesis, etc.), the dental surgeon may prescribe antibiotics during dental care.